The Midwife Center for Birth & Women's Health is located in southwestern Pennsylvania. It is the area's only licensed and accredited freestanding independent birth center. At The Midwife Center, our team of state-licensed certified nurse-midwives, registered nurses, and nurse practitioner provide full pregnancy and birthing care, well-woman gynecological care, and educational classes for women from puberty through menopause. Helping women through the life cycle is a passion for us. Our goal is to provide safe and satisfying care that is personalized to meet the needs of the woman and her family. Our midwives take the time understand each woman’s physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. We recognize that pregnancy, childbirth, and maturation are normal life processes, in which a provider should not intervene without evidence of a problem.
Our midwives believe that a woman should be in control of her own health care, including her birth experience. The home-like atmosphere of our facility includes three nature-themed birth suites, each with a large bed, bathroom and whirlpool bath, and we also have a family kitchen. There is a large waiting room, also, and three exam rooms. The birth experience can transform a family and our staff strives to maximize that potential. Our care is family-focused; members of the family are welcome at appointments and at delivery.
The Birth experience at The Midwife Center includes:
- Prenatal visits and education
- Standard prenatal testing
- Consultation with physician specialists (as needed)
- Phone consultations with our Certified Nurse-Midwives and Nurse Practitioner
- Labor, delivery and postpartum care in one of our comfortable birth suites, assisted by certified nurse-midwives and registered nurses
- Freedom to labor in the most comfortable position, with as many or as few companions as desired
- Use of whirlpool bath during labor
- No routine episiotomies or separation of mother and baby
- Hospital delivery for mothers who do not meet the safety criteria for birth in our facility or who select this option
- Breastfeeding support at the birth center and through early postpartum period
- Home visit(s) by an RN and 6 week postpartum checkups at the birth center
The Midwife Center provides exceptional, personalized, woman-centered care to a large, diverse clientele, while also conducting extensive advocacy and education. Recognized for providing the highest quality care, we will participate in research, provide midwifery education to future providers, and advocate for improved midwifery regulations and reimbursements. These activities will further the field of midwifery and meet the growing demand for midwifery services.